SSAPTI: Synergistic Sustainability Assessment of Passenger Transport Interiors
The present framework implements a simplified LCA method titled SSAPTI for assessing passenger transport cabin interiors using the synergistic application of MCDA and LCA approaches. This framework uses a sequenced process flow to translate cabin product data into a set of impacts based on a combination of objective product material data and subjective expert judgements regarding the life cycle and strategic importance of the products assessed to the user's organisation. The following set of sheets constitutes the presented framework:
- "c1. Cabin Inventory": offers the space for detailed product data records, which include material and weight identification for each product component.
- "c2. Sustainability Assessment": used as the central space for integrating quantitative assessment elements: sustainability impact of cabin materials, impact category weights, circularity effects.
- "c3. Circular Economy": provides the space to model the circular scenarios of cabin product life cycle.
- "c4. Qualitative LCA": facilitates qualitative assessment of cabin product life cycle activities based on expert judgement since SSAPTI use cases presume objective life cycle data unavailable.
- "c5. Strategic Criteria": uses expert judgement to qualitatively assess the importance of each cabin product for the business using non-technical criteria to adjust priorities.
- "c6. Results Aggregation": the central space where the interim results from each assessment block are pulled into a single final score for each product reflecting its sustainable priority level.
- A set of supporting sheets that enable the 6 core sheets:
-- "s1. LCIA Method Selection": a summary of relevant LCIA method features informing the decision about its inclusion in this framework.
-- "s2. IC Generalisation": provides the reference to IC organisation where several IC used by the individual methods are merged into one general IC to enable method comparability.
-- "s3. Importance Weighting": derivation of the importance weights for both the individual IC and qualitative LCA stages using MCDA.
-- "s4" sheets provide the space for importing the normalised outputs from selected LCA databases (EcoInvent is used for SSAPTI) and selected LCIA methods. Each sheet houses a single method and the associated MCDA-based functionality for transforming the raw LCA database outputs into relative cabin product impacts based on material weights.
-- "s5. Method Comparisons": offers the comparison between all included LCIA methods per each IC to inform the user's prioritisation strategy.
-- "s6. Qualitative Evaluation": contains the functional block performing the analysis for Qualitative LCA and Strategic Criteria sheets; is not intended for user's review or amendment.
-- "s7. References" outline the list of sources used throughout this framework.
The presented sheets may be used as information source, or be amended by the user to reflect the needs of their specific project. Amendments may be performed in the cells containing blue text on yellow background only, which applies to all sheets in this framework. Any sheets that do not contain blue text on yellow background shall not be amended.